At world youth day, Pope Francis told his audience that they are the “now of God.” Isn’t that an awesome thought? Because we are all, always, the “now” of God. He foresaw this moment, foresaw the choices we would make that would lead us to where we are and who we are now.
From all eternity He saw us here on this day, this moment. God’s got big plans and you and I are part of it—at every moment!
But what does eternity have to do with now? God is outside of time, so His eternal “now” encompasses all the now’s that were, are, or ever will be. I read once that heaven is not with God, heaven is God. Another awesome reality that we can start living in our limited way right now.
It’s wonderful to think about, but it’s also a responsibility. I makes me wonder things like:
• Can I see how everything that went before in my life set the stage for me to play the part in human history that God has called me to play today?
• How am I holding up my end of the deal, being alive in this place and time?
• What could I be doing a little differently that would better reflect that I am a child of God in our times?
• Have I thanked God lately for the life and guidance he has given me to bring me to this “now”?
• If, looking back, I see that I have not always fulfilled my part as “God’s now,” how can I do it better tomorrow?
There’s something so fresh about being “God’s now.” I can start all over again every moment—to let go, rest in His love, and let His love shine through me. Even if I blew it the moment before, I can, by His grace, try again with each new “now.” How awesome is that?